1. It's never too early to start generating buzz around your event app. Many organizers start promoting their app 6-8 weeks prior to their event.
2. Always communicate the benefits of downloading the app and use strong calls-to-action.
3. Eliminate the paper guide altogether. Not only will you save money on printing costs, but by making information available on mobile-only you can really drive adoption.
4. Leverage gamification within the app to encourage behavior and increase virality.
5. Make mobile devices available to all of your attendees by renting or purchasing devices for them to use. If you do so, be sure to pre-load the event app on the device!